Graphic tees are so cute, but sometimes a subtle message might be what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, I love a good graphic tee but they aren't always work appropriate even on a casual Friday. This DIY boasts a personalized alternative and will take your casual tee to a new level of chic! Keep reading to learn how to create one of your own!
1. Decide what word or phrase you want to add to the pocket of your boyfriend tee. You can also download this template for more ideas!
2. Print the phrase on white paper.
3. Cut the word/phrase out so it fits into the pocket of your boyfriend tee.
4. Using the disappearing ink marker, trace the word or phrase. Make sure the lines are dark so they don't evaporate before you're done embroidering.
5. Cut a piece of embroidery floss. For this word I used a 3' piece to make sure I didn't run out mid-word.
6. Tie two knots at the end (the second knot should tie on top of the first).
7. Start at the beginning of the first letter with the knot on the back side of the pocket.
8. Use a backstitch to complete the letter or phrase on your boyfriend tee. Not familiar with the backstitch? Not to worry, there is a great YouTube tutorial here!
Even if you aren't a big seamstress, don't let this simple DIY project deter you! Here are some more tips to make sure you get your embroidered word or phrase perfect:
- The stitches don't have to be evenly spaced, just don't make any too long especially on a section with a curved line.
- Use smaller stitches on the curved sections to help the lines look more smooth.
- Thread your needle through one of the loops on the back side of the pocket before knotting off the thread.
- When knotting the thread at the end of your word, make sure not to pull the thread too tight. You don't want to pull the thread from the front because it will gather the fabric in between the stitches.
I hope you are inspired by this DIY and I would love to see what you come up with! If you post a picture on Instagram, tag me and use #MAMJdiy!
Have a beautiful day!