Even if you don't have a Valentine this year, V-Day is always a great opportunity to spread the love! Whether it's sending a sweet card to a friend, or bringing yummy treats to your co-workers, small acts of kindness showing you care are really what matter. Since chocolate is the key to everyone's heart, today I'm sharing a simple recipe for brownie macaroons you can make for your Valentine, Galentine, co-workers, or teachers!
A local bakery in Seattle inspired my brownie macaroon idea, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the worlds best baker. Mr. Jones and I don't even keep basic ingredients in our house like butter and sugar to make sweet treats, but I was determined to create my own version of Amandine's brownie macaroons! Keep reading for the super simple instructions and ideas to make them look even sweeter!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Sugar Free brownie mix. I've tried regular mix, but the sugar free is the only one that worked! Plus you can eat a few more and not feel guilty about it ;)
- Egg, oil, and water (or whatever is needed to mix with the brownie mix- see back of package for details).
- Store bought chocolate frosting. I used a sugar free dark chocolate, but regular frosting would work too.
- Store bought vanilla frosting or icing for decorating.
- Silicone baking mat with measurements.
- Ziplock bags.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees & mix ingredients according to instructions on the brownie mix box.
- Once mixed, pour brownie batter into a large ziplock bag.
- Cut off the corner of the ziplock bag (about 1/2" opening).
- Place the baking mat onto a pan so you can transfer it into the oven after pouring the macaroons.
- Pour the mix onto the baking mat in a swirling motion starting from the center of the circle. Smaller is better- you'll get more out of the mix!
- Bake the macaroons for 10-13 minutes, or until the tops are crisp.
- While the macaroons are baking, pour the chocolate frosting into a ziplock bag & cut the corner about 1/2".
- Hold one macaroon in your hand & squeeze the frosting onto the macaroon in a circular motion with the other hand.
- Gently press another brownie macaroon on top. Make sure the frosting isn't overflowing and comes right to the edge.
- Optional: decorate the macaroons with vanilla frosting or sprinkles!
WRAP THEM UP WITH LOVE (AND SPARKLES)!
Now that you've made lots of tasty brownie macaroons, it's time to wrap them up in a fun and thoughtful package! Papyrus is always my go-to for beautiful gift wrap and these little heart bags are just too cute. What better way to gift the treats you baked with love than in a heart-adorned package?! Here's a few tips to make sure your goodies stay fresh:
- Put each brownie macaroon inside of a plastic treat bag.
- Can't find your plastic treat bags? Me either! Just cut the zip off of a sandwich sized ziplock and secure it with ribbon. I used this darling Papyrus bow.
- Make sure you tie the ribbon tight to lock out moisture.
- For the small bags, I cut each piece of tissue paper into 4 pieces so that it fit.
- Stuff the tissue neatly into the bag and you're ready to spread the love!
Have a wonderful Valentine's Day, everyone!
Thank you Papyrus for sponsoring this post!