Last fall I found an amazing lace-up sleeve sweater and I just couldn't get enough! Since the sweater is now sold out, I decided to whip up a similar and inexpensive DIY version. In today's post, I'm showing you how to make one of your own to cozy up in this winter!
1. Measure the length of the sleeve. Mine was 20".
2. Multiply the sleeve measurement by 4 and cut 2 pieces of ribbon that length. Mine was 80".
3. Fold the end of the ribbon in half twice and secure with tape. Do this to both ends.
4. Insert the ends of each ribbon through the top of the sleeve. They should be about 1" apart and you can use the crease on the sleeve as the center point. Before pulling the ribbon, make sure that no threads from the sweater are caught in the tape (this is VERY important as you don't want to snag the sweater)! Gently pull the ribbon through making sure that it isn't twisted on the back side. You should have an equal amount of ribbon on each side before continuing.
5. Cross the ribbon, right under left. Each ribbon should thread back into the sweater 2.5" down from the first hole.
6. On the back side (inside of sleeve), cross the two ribbons again and bring them back through to the front of the sweater. They will come out about 1/2" under the lace above it. Make sure that the ribbon isn't twisted on the back side and don't pull it too tight, or the sweater will start to gather.
7. Repeat step (5).
8. Repeat step (5) until you are about 3" above the cuff. In this case, there were 5 crosses.
9. Cross the ribbon on the back side just like you did for all of the other laces and bring it to the front. With the remaining ribbon, tie a bow.
10. Once you have perfected your bow, trim the ends just above the cuff on the sleeve.
If you share a photo on social, use #MAMJdiy. I can't wait to see your beautiful DIY's! Have the best day, y'all!